Sunday, September 7, 2008

Kings Peak Adventure

Me and Dave with our tent














I started this blog so I could use it as my scrapbook/journal since I'm not good at either one but am good at playing on the Internet. And as I said before we have had some adventures lately that I want to make note of... like our last one hiking Kings Peak. Over Labor Day my family decided to go hiking and even though we knew it might storm we did it anyway, Wow what a mistake that was, this is what happened on Sat we hiked in about 8 miles which doesn't sound that bad but we were carrying all of our stuff so it made for a long hike plus my dad and brothers kept saying it was the hardest part (they were wrong). So we set up camp had dinner and went to bed. On Sunday we woke up to a dark gray sky with huge rain clouds we talked about going home but decided to stay, no one really wanted to throw those packs back on so we headed out of camp to climb the beast they call Kings Peak. We had been told it was 6 miles round trip from where we were camping. What a lie that was that day we walked about 10 miles. And when we were 200 yards from the peak a blizzard broke out. So we got off the mountain as fast as we could while being safe and got back to camp we were all so tired that we all just crashed. As Dave and I were laying in our tent talking about the day and just about to go to bed our tent collapsed on us, Not joking just fell on top of us. I freaked out and didn't want to move but Dave grabbed the light and peaked out to see what it was we were both shocked to see the ground covered in a white blanket of SNOW. What we thought was just rain hitting our tent was really snow that was coming down so hard that it built up and made the tent fall in on us. (As funny as this sounds it wasn't!) So for the rest of the night we had to wake up every hour and hit the sides of the tent to keep the snow off and by morning we had about 8 inches of snow that we had to hike back out in. The only good thing from this trip was finding out just how strong we really are and being able to say we did it and will never have to do it again.



Sorry this is such a long story but I wanted to have all the details so next year when my dad tries to get us to do it again I can look back and see just how fun it really was!

4 comments:

laci said...

Look at you up and blogging already!! It looks way cute. It's also nice to see your hiking pictures...you crazy people!! I'm excited you're blogging now, someone else to stalk! :)

Bennetts said...

brrrr that looks so cold. I am so glad that you started a blog. I cant wait to see what you post for my entertainment!!

Christian, Kerri, & The Boys said...

Hey!
I added you! Now we can stay in touch!
Ker

Jesse and Jodi said...

Let me say to all that although there were some rough spots the trip WAS really fun! Yes, I agree never make the trip if you know a storm is coming, other than that go for it. And don't let Alisha fool you we will have her back up there before too long!